Monday, March 5, 2012

What We're Eating 3/5/12-3/11/12

Our family has been a mess over the past five days.

On Wednesday night, Isaac was fussy at dinnertime. We figured he was tired and Chris was going to bring him down to the bedroom to get ready for bed. Chris stood up and Isaac puked all over Chris and the dining room floor. (Thankfully, we were done eating dinner.) We spent the rest of that night and most of Thursday fighting Isaac to puke into the puke bucket that he wanted nothing to do with and hoping he wouldn't choke during the breath-holding spells he had because he did not like puking. (Not that I blame him.) Isaac and I spent the next two nights camped out on his bedroom floor while Charlie slept in the living room and Chris in bed. We thought we were on the mend until Charlie and Chris came home from a quick shopping trip for supplies on Friday afternoon. Charlie was fine throughout the two stores they went to and was fine in the car. Five minutes (seriously) after they got home, Charlie destroyed the couch and we started all over again.

Chris and I were hoping we would make it through without catching the bug but knew the odds of that were pretty low. The house reeked of bleach, the washing machine had been running pretty much non-stop, and my hands were (still are) red and bleeding from being washed so many times, but we both had the bug on Saturday. We've done a lot of sleeping, reading, watching TV, changing diapers and emptying puke buckets over the past five days. The only good thing to come out of this bug was that I lost almost 4 pounds on my steady diet of toast and Jello! Ha! ;) After four nights on the floor with Isaac, I was finally able to sleep in my own bed next to my husband last night.

And now we go from puking to meal planning..... :)

Times like this make me so grateful for my menu plan and even more grateful that I've been planning two weeks at a time. This stomach bug's timing worked out because I don't think I could have handled looking at recipes this weekend. Even better, I had planned a bunch of freezer meals for this week so I don't have too much cooking to do. And, the next time I plan will be a little easier because we missed a few meals over the weekend.


Monday
L: Leftover Soup/Grilled Cheese, Grapes
D: Macaroni & Tomato Casserole (freezer), Biscuits

Tuesday
L: PB&J, Pepper Slices, Chips
D: Pretzel Crusted Chicken Strips, Rice, Green Beans

Wednesday
L: Leftover Chicken Strips & Rice, Apple Slices
D: Turkey Tetrazzini (freezer)

Thursday
L: Calico Beans (freezer)
D: Chicken & Cheese Rice Bake (slightly modified)

Friday
L: Leftover Rice Bake
D: Baked Potatoes (maybe in the crock pot?)

Saturday
L: PB&J, Grapes
D: Rib Eyes, Egg Noodles, Honey-Glazed Carrots, Biscuits (I froze a few uncooked biscuits tonight - they're best fresh out of the oven)

Sunday
L: Leftovers
D: Overnight Hash Brown Egg Casserole

For more menu planning inspiration, visit I'm an Organizing Junkie.

No comments:

Post a Comment