Monday, November 15, 2010

Feta Shrimp Skillet


I found this recipe in the October/November 2010 issue of Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine and we are in love! (Unfortunately, I don't have a photo.) It's a quick, light (healthy) meal and yet it's so hearty and filling at the same time - it's best with some crusty bread to sop up the remaining sauce in your bowl. We're not really tomato fans (I decided to try the recipe because I had feta in the fridge to use up) and yet we love this recipe.

Another benefit is that it's a skillet meal so there's little to clean up and it's something I can put together with ingredients in my pantry - I almost always have cans of diced tomatoes in my cupboard and I buy large resealable bags of precooked frozen shrimp and thaw slightly by running under cold water before I'm ready to use them. I've also started buying frozen chopped onion - all too often I don't need an entire onion for a recipe and the leftovers sit and end up going bad. With the frozen onions, I can just sprinkle whatever I want right into my pan and throw the bag back into the freezer.

Feta Shrimp Skillet
modified from Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking
Serves 4 (halves easily)

1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 lb medium shrimp
1 tsp parsley
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, wine (if desired), oregano, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened.

Stir in shrimp and parsley. Cook and stir over medium heat until shrimp are heated through. Remove from the heat; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is softened.

No comments:

Post a Comment