Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Apple-Glazed Pork Chops

I love fall.

source

I love the crisp air, the brilliant colors, the smell of the air. I love the warm colors and being able to wear jeans and a comfy sweater all day. I love apples freshly picked from the tree and Halloween candy. Almost everything about fall makes me happy. Especially the food!

We had one of our family's favorite recipes tonight - Apple-Glazed Pork Chops. When I was in Edinburgh for my junior year of college, my friend Emily and I shared a flat. We planned and ate meals together (sometimes with Veronika, our Austrian flatmate) and had a wonderful arrangement: one of us would cook, the other would clean. Some of my favorite memories from my time in Scotland include meals with Emily. Apple-Glazed Pork Chops is a recipe from Emily's mother and it is one of my favorite fall meals.

Apple-Glazed Pork Chops
serves 4

Ingredients

1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
4 tbsp butter, divided
2 lbs pork chops
2 tbsp brown sugar
1.5 cups apple juice
2 apples, peeled and sliced
1/3 cup raisins
Cinnamon

Directions
Combine the flour, salt and dry mustard in a plastic bag. Add chops and toss to coat. Melt 2 tbsp butter in large pan. Brown chops.


Once browned, remove chops from pan. Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter and stir in 2 tbsp flour mixture and brown sugar.

Gradually stir in apple juice. Cook until thickened.

Place chops in foil-lined baking pan. Arrange apples (You might notice that I did not peel my apples... I recommend peeling them. I didn't mind the peel, but caught Chris pulling it out of his mouth on a few bites.) and raisins over chops. Cover with apple juice mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment